Mango Coconut Sticky Rice Dessert RecipeJump to Recipe
Mango coconut sticky rice. What is it? It’s a popular Thai dessert that has now spread all over the world. Each location adds its own special local twist to it. Make this dessert yourself with the recipe below.
We all know rice is a staple food in Asia. It’s eaten for breakfast as congee, during lunch and dinner with side dishes, but also as dessert!
Similar to rice pudding, the main part of mango coconut dessert is rice. The sticky coconut rice tastes like a tropical rice pudding, while the soft mango provides a fresh and natural palate cleanser.
If you enjoy mango desserts, check out our Mango Pomelo Sago Dessert.
The pairing of rice with mango and coconut may seem like an unusual combination, but this dessert is extremely popular. There have been many variations with different additional toppings or different local fruits.
Mango coconut sticky rice is an easy dessert to make. You can impress your family and friends with the taste, but also presentation! To really wow your guests, you can mould your mango into fun shapes rather than cube it. Get as creative as you like!
Mango Coconut Sticky Rice Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup sticky rice uncooked
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 tsp sugar
- ⅔ tsp salt
- 1 mango
- ¼ cup mung beans or roasted sesame seeds optional; for garnish
- Wash the sticky rice in a bowl or container.
- Transfer the rice into a glass bowl and fill it with water. Soak sticky rice overnight in the fridge.Tip: Make sure to soak in enough water so that your rice is still damp the next morning. This will be approximately 2-3 inches of water above your rice level.
- Heat the coconut cream in a small pot over low heat.
- Add the sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved.
- Remove the sticky rice from the fridge and drain the water.
- Add 4/5 of the coconut cream mixture to the sticky rice.
- Mix the coconut cream mixture and the rice well, then microwave for 7 minutes to cook the rice.
- After microwaving, transfer the sticky rice with coconut cream to a plate and let cool slightly. (If you prefer to eat this dessert cold, let the rice completely chill in the fridge).
- Peel the mango and remove the seed. Chop the mango into cubes. Put the cubes on the plate of sticky rice, either on top or beside the rice.
- Drizzle the rest of the coconut cream mixture on top and add more mango.
- Optional: sprinkle some fried mung beans or roasted sesame seeds on top of the dessert before serving.
- Ready to serve. Enjoy!