Hot & Sour Shredded PotatoJump to Recipe
A human and basic Chinese stir-fry dish, add a spin to your carb intake with this hot and sour shredded potato recipe! Stir-fried until crispy, the dish has just the right amount of sourness and bold spiciness.
Originally a Sichuan dish, hot and sour shredded potatoes are a favourite among many regions all over China.
Potatoes are China’s largest crop so it’s no surprise that this dish is also one of the most well-known home-style dishes.
Here in North America, you’re probably used to eating French fries or roasted potatoes. If that’s the case then the texture of this dish will be quite surprising.
The Chinese developed a style of cooking that generates a crunchy, crispy texture much like that of a cucumber. By stir-frying the potatoes at very high temperatures and constantly stirring, the water content of the potatoes evaporates leaving a crispy texture on the outside while the inside is soft and tender.
Instead of just adding in the chilli peppers afterwards as a seasoning, you start the recipe by making chilli oil. To do this, oil is heated in the wok or pan and then the peppers are added. You let the oil and chilli peppers cook together to infuse the oil with its spiciness. Then the shredded potato is added in.
To get the sour part of this recipe, some vinegar is added at the end which gives the dish a refreshing tart flavour.
Taste the authenticity of Chinese cooking with this hot and sour shredded potato recipe. Don’t forget to try our other Sichuan dishes like Mapo Tofu or Bang Bang Chicken. Let us know on social media if you try this recipe!
Hot & Sour Shredded Potato Recipe
- 2 medium red or white potatoes
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ medium red bell pepper
- 1 stalk green onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 tbsp dried chilli pepper
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt, to taste
- Peel and cut the potato into shreds. Make sure to cut them into similar sizes to ensure even cooking.
- Soak the shredded potatoes in a bowl of room temperature water for 20 minutes and add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar into the water.
- Slice the bell pepper and scallion on an angle to get long thin slices.
- Drain the potatoes and leave it in the sieve.
- Turn the stove to low heat and pour in 2 tablespoons of oil. While the oil is still cool, add in the Sichuan peppercorns and dried chilli. Fry the peppercorn for 1 minute and then remove them with a strainer.
- Turn up to heat to high and add the sliced scallion when oil is hot. Save some of the sliced scallions for garnish. After, add the potatoes and bell peppers. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Once the potato shreds become soft add in 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar, ½ teaspoon of sugar, and salt to taste. Stir the ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with the sliced scallion before serving. Enjoy!