Egg Foo Young
This egg foo young recipe is simple and quick, perfect for an easy dinner.
So what is egg foo young? It’s essentially a Chinese omelet but there are many variations of it much like regular omelets. Usually, the eggs are mixed with vegetables and the optional protein. In our recipe, we take the vegetarian approach!
Authentic egg foo young recipes will use vegetables such as beansprouts, cabbage, scallions or mushrooms inside. Shrimp, chicken and pork are the most common proteins.
Egg foo young can also be served with a savoury sauce, such as gravy.
Depending on the ingredients inside the name of the dish can change to reflect that.
You can find this dish in most Chinese restaurants. Making egg foo young at home is one of the healthiest Chinese take-out meals! Restaurants tend to fry the egg foo young with a lot of oil, but making it at home offers a low-fat and low-carb option.
You can also add extra nutrition at home by topping it off with a handful of extra veggies or protein.
Enough talking though! Let’s get started on this recipe!
Egg Foo Young Recipe
- ½ cup chives
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Wash and chop the enoki mushrooms and chives. Make sure to remove the roots from the mushrooms and the chives.
- Put the chopped ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and then crack all the eggs into the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and then mix until the eggs are well combined with the ingredients.
- Get a pan and heat the oil on medium heat.
- Using a large spoon, scoop portions of the egg mixture onto the pan once the oil is hot. Each portion should be the size of a burger patty.
- Cook the egg patties for 2-3 minutes and then flip.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the entire bowl of the egg mixture is finished. If you find that the egg is sticking to the pan, add more oil. Wait until it is hot again before putting more of the egg mixture onto it.
- Once the egg patties are cooked, remove and place them on a plate covered with a sheet of paper towel. The paper towel will soak up any excess oil.
- It’s ready to serve. Enjoy!