Chinese Hot Dog Bun
When you go to a Chinese bakery, what’s your go-to bun? For a lot of people it’s the famous Chinese hot dog bun and you can make it right at home with this recipe!
So what are Chinese hot dog buns? They’re exactly what they sound like!
They’re soft fluffy buns wrapped around a hot dog or sausage. This Chinese hot dog bun recipe is great for parties, gatherings, or as a snack.
Chinese hot dog buns are very similar to the western pigs in a blanket. The main difference is that pigs in a blanket wrap the hot dog in a pastry rather than a bun.
If you grew up in a Chinese household, you’ll probably have fond memories of having them for breakfast or as an after school snack.
Making this Chinese hot dog bun recipe is a great way to bond with your kids and introduce them to something from your childhood.
If you like buns, try making Longevity Peach Buns next time!
Chinese Hot Dog Bun Recipe
Servings: 12 Buns
Prep Time: 2 hours and 40 mins
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 egg
- 12 hot dogs
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp vital wheat gluten
- ½ tbsp dough enhancer
- Begin by making the dough. Pour in the water, yeast, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and vegetable oil into your mixer. Then mix it a little bit, cover and wait for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, in a separate mixing bowl, add in the bread flour, salt, remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, the vital wheat gluten and the dough enhancer. Mix well.
- After the 5 minutes have passed, turn the mixer to the low setting and slowly add the flour mixture from step 2.
- Once all the flour mixture has been mixed in, turn the mixer to a higher setting and mix for 2 to 3 minutes or until the dough is well mixed.
- Take the dough out and put it in a large bowl. Cover the dough completely with a wet paper towel or a damp cloth for 45 minutes to an hour. The dough should rise to double its original size.
- Then divide the dough into 12 evenly-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope with both ends thinning out. The middle should be the thickest section.
- Grab your hot dogs and wrap the dough around them. The thinner edges of the dough rope should help the ends of the bun look neat and flat. Feel free to wrap them however you would like though! Get creative with it!
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and then place the hot dog buns on it. Spread them out evenly and cover with a damp cloth and wait for 30 minutes.
- While you are waiting, beat an egg in a bowl and preheat the oven to 375°F. When the 30 minutes is up, brush the egg wash onto the top of the buns.
- Bake the buns for 15 to 18 minutes until it’s golden brown.
- Let them cool and they’re ready to serve. Enjoy!