Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups / 750 ml chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ in or 1 cm piece of ginger
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp Shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- ¼ – ½ tsp sesame oil
Toppings & Noodles
- 6 oz/180g fresh egg noodles
- 2 large bok choy plus/or other vegetables of choice
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (or other protein of choice)
- 1 scallion/shallot, green part only finely sliced (optional garnish)
- Peel the cloves of garlic and gently smash them with the side of a knife. Make sure they remain in relatively one piece.
- Slice the ginger into thin sheet-like pieces.
- Place the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, Shaoxing cooking wine and sesame oil all in a saucepan over high heat. Cover with a lid and bring to simmer then reduce to medium-high and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- If you cannot use alcohol, use ½ tbsp of rice vinegar and 1 tbsp of apple juice
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to packet directions.
- Cut vegetables to the desired size. For bok choy, cut them along the stem into quarters.
- Cook the chicken (if not already cooked) or your desired protein separately.
- Scoop the ginger and garlic out of soup broth. Add bok choy and cook for 1 minute. Add the protein and then turn the stove off.
- Place noodles in bowls. Divide soup and toppings between bowls. Garnish with shallots if using. Great served with chilli paste or fresh chillies.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Share your recreations of our Chinese chicken noodle soup recipe with us on social media and leave a rating!