Asian-Style ZucchiniJump to Recipe
Zucchinis are native to the Americas but with globalization, they have spread over to Asia giving us new ways to enjoy it like this Asian-style zucchini recipe.
Did you know botanically zucchinis are actually considered a fruit even though most people categorize them as a vegetable? They’re a part of the same family as summer squashes and can even grow to up to 1 metre long!
Benefits of Zucchini
It’s a great ingredient to include in your diet since it has many health benefits. Eating more zucchini can contribute to a healthy digestion system since it has high fibre and water content.
Zucchini is also full of great nutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin A is particularly beneficial for your immune system and the amount of vitamin C is actually boosted after zucchini has been cooked.
The greatest benefit of zucchini is that its extremely easy to add to your diet. It can be eaten raw in salads, stewed or even baked into bread.
Types of Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini isn’t limited to vegetarian recipes. It can be incorporated into all different kinds of recipes and cuisines.
In Asia, zucchini is usually found in stir-fries or skewered and grilled alongside meat. The most popular recipe is a very simple one, zucchini stir-fried with chicken or with egg and ground pork.
Another popular Asian-style zucchini recipe is a soy sauce and sesame seed zucchini stir-fry. Try out the recipe below and share your favourite zucchini recipe with us on social media! Or you can check out our other recipes such as our Smashed Cucumber Salad.
Asian-Style Zucchini Recipe
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 pinch garlic, powder to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch chilli powder to taste, optional
- Wash and dry your zucchini. Remove both ends of the zucchini and chop them into 1-inch long pieces while leaving the skin on.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in the chopped zucchini and cook the pieces lightly until they begin to brown.
- Season the zucchini with soy sauce, garlic powder and ground pepper. You can add a light kick to the recipe by adding in chilli powder. Continue cooking until the zucchini is well coated in the sauce and tender.
- Once the zucchini is finished cooking, remove from heat and transfer it to a plate. Garnish with sesame seeds and lightly toss to mix. Enjoy!